I know that starting a blog can seem overwhelming and intimidating. When I started my Blog, it took me a while to decide if I actually wanted to start a blog? Start a free blog or pay for hosting or domain? What is good for me and what is not? So many questions, right?
Starting a blog is not difficult, you can have your blog up and running in less than 20 minutes! It is very easy to create a blog and you don’t need to have technical experience to start one. All you need is a Laptop/computer, internet connection, basic computer skills and a will to start a blog.
Disclosure: I am an affiliate for Bluehost and will receive a commission if you sign up through my referral link. This is at no additional cost to you, and you will get great pricing and a free domain name through my link.
So, grab a cup of tea/coffee and let’s get started!
If you’re looking to start a WordPress blog for a great and affordable price, then choosing Bluehost for your hosting needs may be your answer. Bluehost is one of the top web hosting companies in 2019 and I personally have had a great experience with them.
The toughest and biggest decision you’ll have to make as a first step towards starting the blog is to decide between a free or a paid Blog. You might think, “Well I can just start on a free blogging platform learn how to blog that way, why pay for it?” But please don’t do that, it is quite lucrative to go for a free one, but they are great for hobby blogs. If you are serious with your blog and are interested in ever making money off your blog, or turning it into a business, then getting a self-hosted blog, is a MUST right from the beginning.
If you have already decided or are planning on starting a blog on Bluehost and you are interested in learning how to start a blog on WordPress, continue below…
I personally use and recommend Bluehost as I honestly believe that they are one of the best web hosting providers. If you sign up using my link, then you will get your domain for free, if you purchase a 12 month or longer blog hosting plan. Here are few of the Perks of hosting with Bluehost!
- Free Domain Name: You get a free domain name for the first year! Yes!
- Free SSL: You need to this be secure online and it comes free with Bluehost hosting!
- 24/7 Chat Support: Well honestly this is the best thing; you have a team to support you when you can only blog after you have completed your millions of chores and still want to Blog.
- 1-Click WordPress Install: It’s so easy to use and provides 1-click WordPress Install…you don’t have to go through the hassle of installing WordPress separately. And WordPress through Bluehost is FREE.
- It’s the best affordable hosting for beginners if you are just starting out and you have limited resources to invest in your blog.
- You will be self-hosted! This means you own your Blog, you Blog name ends with“YourBlog.com” and not yourblog.wordpress.com or yourblog.blogspot.com or yourblog.tumblr.com etc. You will appear much more professional.
So, HOW TO START A WORDPRESS BLOG ON BLUEHOST?
Here are the steps laid out neatly for you…
- Choose a hosting plan for your blog.
- Pick and Register your blog domain name.
- Select the package options.
- Enter a password and setup your account.
- Install WordPress on Bluehost. And Customize your blog.
Choose a hosting plan for your blog
First, you will need to head on over to Bluehost to continue with any of the following steps hereafter. There are many web hosting companies out there, but Bluehost is honestly one of the best. There is a reason why many bloggers choose Bluehost for their web hosting needs.
Go to Bluehost and click the “Get Started Now” button.
There are multiple plans to choose from, however, I recommend the Basic one for new bloggers, so skip the other plans as they are more expensive. You can always change it later to a different plan if you want to, so there is no need to sign up for extra when you don’t need to. Click “Select” to choose your plan.
Pick and Register your blog domain name.
If you already own a domain name and want to use it for your blog, type your existing domain in the right box and then click “next”. Only use the right box if you have previously paid to register a domain!
Otherwise, type in your new domain name in the left box and then click “next” to start the registration process.
Now select the package options
The 12 month package has a lower up-front cost, however, The best value would be purchasing a 36-month Account plan, as your monthly rate goes much lower over the long run then.
• The other item you may want to pay for when it comes to blogging is Domain Privacy Protection, which is only $0.99 per month. This is so that your contact information stays safe.
• Other than that, you do not really need the other items that Bluehost sells, so uncheck any of the extras that are listed. You can always get these products later if you decide you need them.
• Remember, if you sign up using my link, then you will get your domain for free if you purchase a 12 month or longer blog hosting plan.
Bluehost powers more than 2 million websites online and is the No. 1 recommended hosting provider by WordPress. With 24/7 support, free SSL certificates, and free domain name registration, Bluehost web hosting is a powerhouse.
Fill out your Account information, billing/payment details.
When you are done, click submit!
Enter a password and setup your account.
Next you will be asked to enter a password. Make sure it’s secure as this information is very important.
Your account is all setup now!
Install WordPress on Bluehost. And Customize your blog!
Bluehost guides you through exactly what you need to do in order to start a blog. If you are not already logged-in, go to Bluehost.com and click “Login” on the top right to bring up the login screen. You can then login using your domain name and the password you set in the previous step. If you have misplaced your password you can reset it by clicking the “Forgot Password” link.
Now Choose a WordPress Theme
If you’ve chosen Bluehost as your web host, WordPress will be automatically installed for you. All you have to do is click, ‘Log in’ and the first thing Bluehost will ask you is to choose a theme. You can just pick a random one here or find one that you actually like. You can change it later so it’s not a big deal or just scroll to the bottom and skip this step.
WordPress gets automatically installed after this. Once the install is complete click “Start Building” to be logged-in to your blog.
The next screen will ask if you are building your website for Personal or Business – select the one that suits, its completely up to you.
WOOOHOOO! You now have a WordPress blog. You will have to work on the design and produce high-quality content, of course. Good luck!!!